Ismailia, the “City of Gardens and Flowers”, the capital of the Canal region lies midway between Port Said and Suez on the western shores of Al-Timsah Lake at a distance of 120km from Cairo.
Ismailia is known for its beautiful landscape and plentiful orchards. Its fruits and its numerous bathing beaches spread on
Lake which is one of the largest lakes in
Ismailia Governorate consists of an area of approximately 4482.8 km2 or 0.46% of
Egypt’s area along the west bank of the
Suez Canal. It has 70 km along the east coast The Ismailia Governorate is the capital of the Canal region where the Suez Canal Authority its headquarters and where the
University is established.
Ismailia is located on
Timsah along the coast of the Canal half-way between
Port Said and
Suez. The Governorate consists of five cities;
Ismailia, Fayed, Al-Tal Al-Kabeer Qantara west and east.
In the early days
Ismailia was called
Village, but it was subsequently named after Khedive Ismailia of Egypt. According to the census conducted in 1996, the estimated figure of the population was 715,000 inhabitants (58% urban 42% rural), or 1.21% of
City is approximately 120 km from
Cairo by the direct route “desert highway” or 135 km y the countryside road. All parts of the Governorate are joined with an integrated network of roads; this enables traffic to join the city of
Ismailia with its suburbs.
The Ismailia Governorate has several ancient and antiquity areas:
It is in Abu Seir village, and was called so when workers found statues there 36 but in facts this place was “Baraton Ai” town. There is god Aton temple made from basalt, a Ptolemy’s alabaster coffin from the Ptolemy age, which is moved now to
Museum. It is one of the most important tourism places.
Established in 1932 at
Salah Salem Street it contains Pharaonic Islamic and Roman collections representing different periods of Egyptian history. It also contains mosaic that features the Folktales the -ancient times.
Ismailia is a small museum but has over 4,000 artifacts from Pharaonic through the Greek and Roman era. It includes information on the first canal built by the Persian Darius between the Bitter lakes and
Bubastis and a masterpiece mosaic of the 4th century illustrating classic characters from Greek mythology other items include statues scarabs, stelae and such. The museum is open daily between 9AM and 4 PM.
It is the house where the French engineer Ferdinand de Lesseps who supervised the digging to
Suez Canal has lived. It houses his library where he put his diaries about
Suez Canal, his room and hit personal belongings. In the garden of the museum there is his car in a glass room to protect it. It lies inside the Suez Canal Rest House. 3 This museum was established in the same residence where the French Engineer Ferdinand de Lesseps lived during and after the canal digging it is situated a Salah Salem street and displays many of de Lesseps belongings such as his private carriage.
The Unknown Soldier Memorial
It lies 7 km from
Ismailia along the road of Canal It was established t commemorate the victims of Work War 1(1914-1918) and it is Locate (-on a high hill near
Built in 1930, it is one of the most beautiful churches in the world for its buildings and it masterpieces. In 1935, the church obtained 24 small different bells that are the only of their kind in the world.
The Memorial of 6th October
It was inaugurated on 5 October 1992 on the east bank of the
Suez Canal and was modeled after a Bayonet. There is a cafeteria to cater for the visitors while they are enjoying the marvelous panorama of both of
Battle Memorial of Abu Atawa
Established to commemorate the tanks during the 1973-October war when the U forces failed to seize
Ismailia. The memorial consists of the remains of the battle (tanks and weapons left by the Israeli forces).
Also called “Abdel Moneim Reyad” district. This district which overlooks the Suez Canal waterway had witnessed many battles where Lieut. General Abdel Moneim Reyad was killed in 1969 with an Israeli missile while inspecting the Egyptian formations on the west bank of the canal. The district witnessed also the great crossing of the Egyptian on 6 October 1973.
A beautiful garden covers an area of 210 hectares where many varieties of rare flowers, tree and palms are planted. In the middle of the garden stand Ismailia Social Club and many tennis courts.
Park is a truly magnificent park covering an area of 500 acres, planted with varieties of rare flowers, trees and palm that belong to many overseas environments.
Known for its pure calm water on which many Water sports can be practiced and were many beaches, clubs and tourist villages are located, There are also some army and police beaches.
Ismailia is also known for its social clubs with their green areas and children playgrounds such clubs are centers for cultural and artistic activities.
Known for its beautiful beaches which extend for 50km from Defresuar northward to Kabreet southward. There are many tourist villages, chalets and equipped clubs.
El Morra lakes
Two lakes about 33 km south of
Ismailia where beaches and tourist villages are located such as: Fayed El Gadeed, El Zohour , El Louts, El Fanar , El Ferdous , El Yasmeen, Shammousa and others.