It lies in Edfu town, 123 km north of
Aswan on the west bank of the nile.
It dates back to the Ptolemaic period. It was dedicated to the worship of god Horus represented as a falcon.
It is one of the most beautiful Egyptian temples, distinguished by its huge splendid structure that blends Pharaonic and Greek architecture its grandeur competes with Luxor Temples.
It is the second largest temple after
. It also houses the nilometer and a huge pylon at the entrance.
It was discovered in 1860 by the famous archaeologist Mariette. On its walls are reliefs which depict he history of Ptolemies and reflect religious belief and art style period.